Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
WW Class Helper Training Clinic
Although all can attend, this day is specifically designed for the 2018 whitewater class graduates. It is also geared towards those who want to volunteer to help with the 2019 beginner whitewater course. If you do plan on helping with the 2019 class, this training day is required. To participate in this training day as well as in the beginner class, a river running and/or creek boat is required.
Each participant will get hands on practice and feedback on the following skills:
- Tips and working through issues with new paddlers when it comes to boat outfitting
- Progressions for new paddlers - getting them comfortable being underwater if needed
- T-rescues/bow rescues
- Review helpful material for a river helper during the basic course
- Positioning yourself during a rapid
- Paddling with two paddles
- Pushing a capsized boat
- Towing boats
- Towing swimmers (stern & bow)
- Giving direction to a swimmer
- Encouraging self-rescue
- Boat over boat rescues
- Paddle & whistle signals
If time, water levels and weather permits it's always fun to practice rescue skills with each other, however, the following skills are not used nor taught during the beginner whitewater course.
- Aggressive swimming and catching eddy's
- Throw bag techniques
- Ropes (do's and don'ts)
Sunday, March 10, 2019, 8:30 AM until 4:00 PM
TBD - likely Snoqualmie or Green River