The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission would like the boating public to know about changes to campground reservations for Posey Island State Park, a small one-acre marine camping park near Roche Harbor on San Juan Island. The changes go into effect in January.
Posey Island provides two campsites with a maximum capacity of eight people per site. The campsites may be used only by those arriving by wind-, oar- or paddle-powered vessels.
Because of the small island’s popularity with individual users and commercial outfits, Parks is limiting how long people can stay in the campsites. The reasons for the changes are to reduce the impact to the island’s resources and to make campsite reservations more equitable and available to a greater number of users.
What boaters need to know:
· The campsites may be reserved from May 15 – Sept. 30.
· Campsites must be reserved at least 14 days in advance of the arrival date.
· State Parks starts taking reservations by telephone at 9 a.m. on Jan. 2 of each year.
· To reserve a campsite, call (360) 378-2044 (Lime Kiln Point State Park)
· Campsites are $12 per night May 15-Sept. 30 and $10 per reservation.
· Reservations for Friday or Saturday nights May 15-Sept. 30
o Limited to one site and one night per reservation
o Limited to a total of any five Friday and/or Saturday one night reservations per month.
· Reservations for Sunday – Thursday nights May 15-Sept. 30
o Limited to one site and a maximum of two nights per reservation.
o Limited to a total of six one- or two-night weekday reservations per month.
· Reservation changes can be made if site availability permits and by calling the Lime Kiln Point State Park reservation phone number. Changes cannot be made within 14 days of the arrival date of the original reservation.
· Commercial users must have a valid copy of the State Park Commercial Use Permit with them on Posey Island and register on-site using that permit number. A copy of the permit must be available to be presented to the ranger upon request.
· Campsites are available May 15-Sept. 30 on a first-come, first-served basis on nights when they have not been reserved.
· No reservations are needed Oct. 1 – May 14 and the campsite fee is $12 per night.
More information about Posey Island State Park is here: http://www.parks.wa.gov/567/Posey-Island
Thanks for helping to spread the word!
Toni Weyman Droscher
Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
Have you Discovered Washington State Parks?