Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
WW Class Helper Training Clinic
Although all can attend, this day is specifically designed for the 2017 whitewater class graduates. It is also geared towards those who want to volunteer to help with the 2018 beginner whitewater course on the river, as well as in the pool. If you do plan on helping with the 2018 class, this training day is required. To participate in this training day a river running and/or creek boat is required. We will start out at the Tukwila pool and work on skills that are much better practiced in warm water, from there we will move to a local river.
Each participant will get hands on practice and feedback on the following skills:
- How to hold students
- Progressions for new paddlers - getting them comfortable being underwater
- Tips and tricks to helping students in the pool during instruction
- Hand to cockpit rescues
- T-rescues/bow rescues
- Review helpful material for a river helper during the basic course
- Positioning yourself during a rapid
- Paddling with two paddles
- Pushing a capsized boat
- Towing boats
- Towing swimmers (stern & bow)
- Giving direction to a swimmer
- Encouraging self-rescue
- Boat over boat rescues
- Paddle & whistle signals
If time, water levels and weather permits it's always fun to practice rescue skills with each other, however, the following skills are not used nor taught during the beginner whitewater course.
- Aggressive swimming and catching eddy's
- Throw bag techniques
- Ropes (do's and don'ts)
Sunday, March 25, 2018, 8:30 AM until 4:00 PM
Tukwila Pool & Local River
4414 South 144th Street
Tukwila, WA 98168