Happy 2024 Paddlers!
Safe paddling is a core value of Washington Kayak Club and as a part of our safety program we strive to offer annual CPR/First aid training to our members. In 2024, WKC will team with two new providers and the goal is to train 40 or more members.
The first class will be 1/28/24 with our good paddling friend, Diana Johnson.
Another class will be offered 2/11/2024. The second class will use blended learning (online plus classroom). Discussions will address drowning, wilderness scene safety and critical thinking / problem solving, splinting, and more.
Winter safety tip
To help stay warm and to combat hypothermia on the river:
- Stay hydrated. Water is as important in the cold as it is in the heat.
- Carry and drink a warm beverage. You can use it to warm cold fingers; yours or someone else’s.
- Carry and eat nutritional snacks.
- Wear a skull cap.
- Consider pogies.
- Service your drysuit.
- Only wear wool or technical performance fabrics. Do not wear cotton or cotton blend fabrics during water events.
- Dress for a swim. In the case of a true emergency, use your extra layers to help warm the victim.
Safe, Happy Paddling in 2024!